Re: Entity and Element Addressing

[Peter Murray-Rust]
> i.e. the starttag is in one file and the endtag in another.  Whilst
> this is horrible, it is the sort of thing that a mindless text
> processor might do when sending chunks to a mailer with size
> restrictions.

See clause 2.1, "Logical and Physical Structure".

   Entities must each contain an integral number of elements,
   comments, processing instructions, and references, possibly
   together with character data not contained within any element in
   the entity, or else they must contain non-textual data, which by
   definition contains no elements.

This would indeed be horrible, and is mercifully forbidden.  (It is
good to have an indexed version of the specification...)

> [BTW I am not a supporter of punctuation in NAMEs if it can be
> avoided.  For example, I create Java classes for most of my Elements
> directly from their names.  -XML-LINK.java is illegal, and probably
> has to be contracted to XMLLINK.java.  The (obvious?) underscore
> character doesn't seem to be used in XML names (?)]

The underscore character is not a legal name character in the SGML
reference concrete syntax, which XML tries to use as much as possible.
Should _ be added as a name character?  The link specification does
not force you to use -XML-LINK as the element name; you can use
attributes to communicate that elements of your own devising have a
defined XML link role.

-Chris
--
Christopher R. Maden                  One Richmond Square
DynaText SIT Technical Support        Providence, RI 02906 USA