Re: Can we be more concrete?

At 07:13 PM 1/7/97 CST, Michael Sperberg-McQueen wrote:
>This sounds suspiciously as if it would be impossible to point at
>a link (or perhaps I mean to point at *an address*) in order to talk
>about it, without slipping past it and landing at what it's pointing
>at.  How on earth will I ever be able to write the definitive
>cultural critique of hypertext with extensive discussions of the
>linking practices of Kimber, Durand, and Allen, if every time I point
>at Eliot's links I get an Altavista query for basset hounds?
>
>Surely there's a HyTime way around this problem?

HyTime considers links and locators to be seperate constructs.  locators are
pass-through in that if you point at it, you are effectively pointing at
what it points at (ad infinitum).  hyperlinks are normal SGML elements in
terms of pointing at them.  If you point at a link you are pointing at the
element which defines that link.  (whether the element "knows" it is the
definition of a link is another question....)

-derek
"that which is not slightly distorted lacks sensible appeal: from which it
follows
 that irregularity - that is to say, the unexpected, surprise, and astonishment,
    are an essential part and characteristic of beauty" - Charles Baudelaire