Re: # or ? in URLS (was BOS confusion)

At 11:42 PM 1/7/97 -0500, David G. Durand wrote:
>At 4:25 PM 1/3/97, W. Eliot Kimber wrote:
>>But wouldn't anything else be a query and thus have to go after a "?".
>
>   Queries _always_ invoke a server-side process. #-strings invoke a
>client-side process, that depends on the MIME-type of the resource
>deisgnated by the URL the #-string is attached to.

I hadn't realized that distinction.  Given that, it does make sense, I
think, to allow TEI extended pointers or something like them after the #.
If understand the implications, we'd be saying that for the mime type "xml"
(or x-xml, I suppose), that stuff following the "#" is interpreted as
either a single ID reference or as some more complicated address (at least
for TEI, you can distinguish the two as TEI locators would always be
enclosed in parens--right?

Cheers,

E.
--
W. Eliot Kimber (eliot@isogen.com)
Senior SGML Consulting Engineer, Highland Consulting