Re: Can we be more concrete?

On Mon, 30 Dec 1996 18:24:04 -0900 Eliot Kimber said:
>At 03:32 PM 12/30/96 -0800, Terry Allen wrote:
>>So, what indicates the semantics of the link to the query?  It isn't
>>the HTTP method.   Is it the semantics of <crossref>?
>
>In the HyTime model, it's the semantics of addresses in general: that
>any reference to a location address is a reference to whatever the
>location address addresses (recursed until you either get only
>non-location addresses, reach the "reflevel" limit, or have a
>circular reference).  This behavior of addresses is independent of
>linking (in other words, the same address resolution behavior would
>result from an ID reference that was not a "link" as we're defining
>it here).

This sounds suspiciously as if it would be impossible to point at
a link (or perhaps I mean to point at *an address*) in order to talk
about it, without slipping past it and landing at what it's pointing
at.  How on earth will I ever be able to write the definitive
cultural critique of hypertext with extensive discussions of the
linking practices of Kimber, Durand, and Allen, if every time I point
at Eliot's links I get an Altavista query for basset hounds?

Surely there's a HyTime way around this problem?

-C. M. Sperberg-McQueen