Re: XML-Link

At 11:03 AM 1/7/97 +0000, Digitome Ltd. wrote:
>If mapping Alink to the FigRef element type and/or activating different
>link sets requires non-validating XML browsers to parse DTDs as well I think
>we can push back the Beta dates that much further...

But it doesn't--the mapping can always be in the instance (possibly on
first occurrence of the mapped element types as discussed earlier).

>Finally, at the risk of being branded a blasphemer, I think that
>
><?XML-LINK ALink FigRef,XRef>
>
>needs to be comprehensively shown to be silly before I can get it out of
>my head:-)

This is really just a form of "DTD summary".  How is it different from:

<!DOCTYPE MyDoc [
<!ATTLIST (FigRef,Xref)  -xml-link NAME #FIXED "alink" >
]>

Assuming that XML allows multiple attribute list declarations for element
types? (This ability is currently provided in the extended meta-DTD syntax
defined in the HyTime TC and is on the fast-track for addition to SGML as
part of the upcoming revision, if not before.)

Cheers,

E.
--
W. Eliot Kimber (eliot@isogen.com)
Senior SGML Consulting Engineer, Highland Consulting