Re: [dgd@cs.bu.edu: BOS confusion (analysis; suggestion to resolve Newcomb/Bryan conflict)]

At 12:20 PM 1/3/97 -0500, David G. Durand wrote:
>At 8:34 AM 1/3/97, W. Eliot Kimber wrote:
>>At 10:10 AM 1/3/97 -0500, David G. Durand wrote:
>>>Well, if it _requires the entity reference,_ then we should not use HyTime.
>>
>>It doesn't require an entity reference.
>Great! This is important!

You're darn tootin' it's important.  It's the only way we can hope to have
the power of HyTime with the convenience of things like URLs and TEI locators.

>>  Using my proposed scheme, you
>>could use a queryloc to contain the URL, e.g.:
>>
>>  <urlloc id="bookrev">http://www.drmacro.com/bookrev</urlloc>
>>  <P>
>>  See <link linkend="bookrev">my book review site</link> for
>>  a draft introduction to HyTime.
>
>But surely you can also do something like:
>site</link> for ...

Certainly you can do this (it's the whole point of the refloc facility).
But I was trying to satisfy Martin's requirement for a re-uable ID
reference to a URL.

>I also think we need to look at the #-sign hack. I've as yet seen no
>justification for _not_ using URL-compatible link formats. Gavin has argued
>for a different kind of URL-compatibility, but it still has a real flaw:

I think the #-sign hack is a reasonable solution.  A similar facility has
been proposed for the SGML revision (but not designed to the point where we
are confident in the final sytax) where you can combine an entity name with
an ID to do simple direct cross-document ID references.  I think the #-sign
hack is consistent semantically with this proposal: in both cases you're
binding a name to the object that defines the name space.  The only
difference is the way you name the name space (entity vs. direct URL
reference).

Cheers,

E.
--
W. Eliot Kimber (eliot@isogen.com)
Senior SGML Consulting Engineer, Highland Consulting