Re: [dgd@cs.bu.edu: BOS confusion (analysis; suggestion to resolve Newcomb/Bryan conflict)]

At 10:10 AM 1/3/97 -0500, David G. Durand wrote:
>At 4:53 AM 1/3/97, Martin Bryan wrote:
>>David
>>The point is that if we are using HyTime links then we need an entity
>>declaration that can be used to name the link source for a chain of links
>>(we don't want to repeat the same 1024 character URL hundreds of times, we
>>want to give it an id in a well controlled namespace). This is how HyTime
>>works.
>
>Well, if it _requires the entity reference,_ then we should not use HyTime.

It doesn't require an entity reference.  Using my proposed scheme, you
could use a queryloc to contain the URL, e.g.:

  <urlloc id="bookrev">http://www.drmacro.com/bookrev</urlloc>
  <P>
  See <link linkend="bookrev">my book review site</link> for
  a draft introduction to HyTime.

>>> That means _no  mandatory entity declarations_ in the
>>>definition of linking.
>>
>>But this would make the use of link sources for link chains impossible. Link
>>chains are one of the real gains that HyTime has to offer. If we drop them
>>from XML we are dead. Without a formally defined sources in the BOS you
>>cannot have a start point for the chain.]

I don't know what Martin means by "link chains". This is not a HyTime term.

If he means "location ladders", then you can have location ladders without
requiring entity declarations (although the use of entities would be the
SGML/HyTime recommended method).  If he means "location paths" (a location
address that addresses other location address elements), then entities have
nothing to do with their support.  If he means "a series of links where
each link (except possibly for the first and last) share link ends with two
other links", then again, supporting that sort of structure is completely
independent of how the link ends might be addressed.

Cheers,

E.

--
W. Eliot Kimber (eliot@isogen.com)
Senior SGML Consulting Engineer, Highland Consulting