Re: Summary of New HyTime Features in the TC

At 03:23 PM 12/23/96 GMT, Charles F. Goldfarb wrote:
>>3. The new "refloc" facility.  This lets you designate attributes
>>   as semantic references with which you can then use any addressing
>>   method you want, including queries, without using indirection.
>
>Without *explicitly* using indirection. HyTime still has to be given the same
>information as it would for a queryloc, etc.

Yes, of course.  As it's explained in the TC, refloc is a shorthand that
replaces explicit reference to the equivalent location address element.
Every refloc option has an equivalent location address construction.

>>   All the HyTime engine cares about is that the attribute is referential,
>>   it doesn't care how the reference is made as long as it gets a node
>>   list as a result of interpreting the reference (which it would do in
>>   the case of HyTime-defined addresses or the query processor would
>>   do for non-HyTime addresses).
>
>It needs to know the notation of the query or it can't invoke the
processor for
>it. Don't pretend that this isn't a location address element; it is a
shortcut
>for one.

Yes.

>>   B. Notion of "aggregate links" replaced by notion of "list anchors".
>>      The whole aggloc/agglink business on location addresses is gone
>>      (replaced by the new agglink form).  List anchors are anchors that
>>      can be satisfied by more than one object.  You can define traversal
>
>Please delete "satisfied by" everywhere in this summary. It is incorrect and
>unnecessary. "List anchors are anchors that can be more than one object."

Yes.  I should have said "consist of" instead of "satisfied by".

>>9. Location sources can be data or subdocument entities.  In the above
>>   nmsploc example, the locsrc attribute is declared as ENTITY and its
>>   value is the name of a document entity (a CDATA entity with a notation
>>   of SGML or a notation derived from SGML, e.g., XML).
>
>This is a shorthand that causes construction of the necessary grove.

Yes.  This is made clear in the text of the standard.  Reference to a data
or subdocument entity is equivalent to referring to an explicit grovedef
that names the entity as the grove source and uses the default grove plan
for the entity (defined either by the entity declaration or by the
notation's property set).

>(Avoid giving the impression that we have a whole bunch of special cases
when we
>really have some well-designed shortcuts to a single construct.)

Yes. The message here is that all the shortcuts in HyTime are defined in
terms of HyTime primitives--there are no special cases or magic processing.

Cheers,

E.
--
W. Eliot Kimber (eliot@isogen.com)
Senior SGML Consulting Engineer, Highland Consulting