Re: Hyperlink behavior

>Having looked at both the HyTime stuff and the TEI Extended Pointer
>Notation, I am now fairly convinced that the TEI mechanism currently
>has the edge, partly because it's easy to get across to newcomers, and
>partly because it is already implemented in Panorama.

The other prime benefit is that it can *easily* be defined to
be a special URL syntax (something I've noted a number of times
in the past):

   http://www.ebt.com/foo.sgml/1/1/2
   http://www.ebt.com/foo.sgml/chap=1/section=1/para=2

though we may like to use somewhat different syntax (ie. clearly label
the exact specification type, define the sub-document address as a
fragment ID, etc.).

I've been trying to get something like the above adopted as a common way
of sub-component addressing (because it can be used for GUI object
adressing, OODB addressing, RDB addressing etc.)

The first version of DynaWeb had support for both the above forms
built into it...

>   Nice-to-have
>      o  pointing into non-SGML, non-HTML documents
>      o  pointing into graphics, sound, video, 3d-space etc
>      o  pointing into other applications (eg databases)

These can also be expressed as heirarchical pointers.