Re: RS/RE, again (sorry)

At 08:20 AM 12/17/96 -0800, Jon Bosak wrote:
>Allow me to wallow in ignorance a bit further.  I'm finding it hard to
>visualize a situation in which I would want to address something based
>on pseudo-element relationships rather than "genuine" tree
>relationships.  It's easy to imagine cases where I would want to refer
>to the TITLE descendant of my ancestor CHAPTER, for example, but I
>have never wanted to refer to the third linefeed in an element.

No, but maybe to the "third node" in an element. If a linefeed is a node,
your count will be different than if it is not.

For instance, maybe you want a bullet on the "first" sub-element of a list
item (usually a <paragraph>, but perhaps occasionally a <note>).

<UITEM>
<P>Foo</P>
<note>Bar</note>
</UITEM>

Is that node the whitespace before the paragraph, or the paragraph itself?
Despite the hand-waving about the "stylesheet can handle it", I think it
would be a constant annoyance.

 Paul Prescod