RE: RS/RE, again (sorry)

At 02:58 PM 12/13/96 EST, lee@sq.com wrote:
>(2) rather than using an attribute called -XML-SPACE, which looks odd and
>    perhaps even ugly, it would be better to have a PI that says
>    the attribute TYPE=LIT on the element SAMPLE
>    has this meaning:
>    <?XML SPACE PRESERVE SAMPLE TYPE="LIT">
>    <?XML SPACE COLLAPSE * TYPE="NORMAL">

While I don't like your syntax, I support the sentiment of making this
global somehow. Can't we specify that an application should presume that the
whitespace handling attribute value is "inherited" from the last element of
the same type?

Should we even consider a more general mechanism for inheriting attributes?
XML users cannot modify their DTD to get the default attributes behaviours
that they want.

 Paul Prescod