RS/RE: Decision point?

   We have determined that, for most of the WG, most positions on the ideal
whitespace model have not changes significantly...

   The original proposal was that we examine the current compromise in XML
(which like most compromises is sub-optimal to many of us) and the proposed
"RE SHORTREF est" proposal that Charles made, and see if, on balance that
is less sub-optimal. Michael convinced me that the extra whitespace nodes
in tables are not that damaging, and the elimination of whitespace "modes"
makes implementation easier, so I think it is better than what we have.

   I think we should restrict the discussion to the choice between XML's
current state, and the alternative proposed (and maybe minor variations of
that, if they are crucially important), since we will probably reach
closure on the ideal method as soon as we did the last time (i.e. never,
given the incompatible demands different groups seem to be making).

   That's unless anyone has a _new_ argument to make on the topic.

  -- David