Re: ERB discussion of public identifiers

   3. Put a slot in the syntax for PUBLIC identifiers...
      3* ...and require an accompanying SYSTEM identifier

As a list newcomer, I wasn't party to the previous debate on this, but
whichever way it goes, I feel it is essential to specify what the
order of acceptance is. The current position in SGML is a serious
problem for users and implementors, where one application will use the
SYSTEM identifier if it is there, and ignore the PUBLIC identifier
even if it cannot locate the resource referred to by the SYSTEM
identifier; and another application takes the PUBLIC identifer first
and ignores the SYSTEM identifer even if it cannot resolve the PUBLIC
identifier; and yet others work only with PUBLIC identifers or SYSTEM
identifers but not both.

///Peter