Re: ICADD support in XML [Was: SGML declaration for XML]

At 03:37 PM 11/11/96 -0500, Steven J. DeRose wrote:
>Insisting that vendors implement LINK in order to support ICADD is the
>surest way to be sure no one implements ICADD, which I think would be a
tragedy.

I'm still ramping up on these issues, but I would venture that XML offers a
much better solution than the current ICADD for those who need ICADD's
benefits.

XML is about sending intelligent markup that correctly models its data all
the way down to the client applications. So through style sheet mechanisms
(DSSSL, for example), couldn't a publisher provide those with disabilities
a much more robust set of guidelines, custom-tailored to the smarts of the
content set, to help those with disabilities differentiate parts of
documents?

Doesn't the world of style sheets offer a far greater avenue for opening
access than hiding hints inside a DTD? Instead of just prefixes and
suffixes, a content provider could call for much more useful
annotations/transformations/inflection-changes.

Alan.

<!--
    Alan Karben
    Manager, Multimedia
    The Wall Street Journal Interactive Edition

    karben@interactive.wsj.com    phone: 609 520 7361
    http://wsj.com                  fax: 609 520 7137
-->