ICADD support in XML [Was: SGML declaration for XML]

Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com> writes:
>At 05:49 PM 11/8/96 CST, Paul Grosso wrote:
>>Is there anything else that needs to be done to your standard SGML
>>declaration for a Basic document other than
>>       DELIM GENERAL SGMLREF PIC "?>"
>>and
>>       NAMECASE GENERAL NO
>
>Huh? I think we finally decided to case-fold, so you mean YES.
>But somebody who really knows this stuff does need to synthesize
>an SGML declaration for XML.  - Tim

I've been trying to locate all references to LINK in the corpus of email
and online documents, so pardon me if this comes in from left field.

As part of the work I'm doing on behalf of ICADD, I'm providing an LPD to
bridge HTML 3.2 and ICADD 2.2 for people with disabilities. I'd like to
propose adding support for LINK (specifically IMPLICIT YES) so that the
same proposed solution for providing ICADD support for the disabled
community in HTML 3.2 could conceivably work for XML. At some point we may
want to provide an XML/ICADD LPD along with the XML spec.

I realize that LINK is not a common feature in SGML applications, but I
believe the same political message would be sent out with XML as currently
with the ICADD-less HTML 3.2: W3C is not concerned about providing support
to the disabled community. I think (as I'm sure many others do) that this
would be a mistake.

Note that I'm maintaining a project page on the HTML 3.2/ICADD 2.2 effort at

   http://www.cm.spyglass.com/doc/icadd/

XML may provide a much greater authoring markup language for the disabled
community than HTML, given that the tools for browsing XML have yet to be
developed (hence LPD support could be made at least a recommendation), a
specific XML flavor could be developed within the disabled community for
its own needs, the quality of parsing will be (theoretically) higher, XML
seems targeted towards those more concerned with structure and
interoperability, etc.

Murray

cc: Mike Paciello, Executive Director, Yuri Rubinsky Insight Foundation

    Murray Altheim, Program Manager
    Spyglass, Inc., Cambridge, Massachusetts
    email: <mailto:murray@spyglass.com>
    http:  <http://www.cm.spyglass.com/murray/murray.html>
           "Give a monkey the tools and he'll eventually build a typewriter."