Re: C.4 Undeclared entities?

Eve L. Maler wrote:

> I've been just watching the tennis match on this issue, and my allegiance
> switches with every mail message. :-)  Nonetheless, one small comment...
>
> Perhaps they're learning that it's a good idea to use the DOCTYPE
> declaration because they're pointing to various *different* HTMLs.  A
> DOCTYPE declaration of <!DOCTYPE foo SYSTEM> tells you nothing other
> than (repetitiously) the root element's name, whereas an FPI at least
> points you to a specific intended DTD.
>
>         Eve

I agree.  But if a compromise is needed, that one at least preserves
some form of compatibility even if only gestural.  I don't understand
this tennis match.  It looks simple enough.  Me, I prefer to point to
a real DTD and receive an instance that tells me what is intended.
Then at least I can crank up the right browser.

len