Re: C.4 Undeclared entities?

On Tue, 22 Oct 1996 12:20:18 -0500, Len Bullard <cbullard@HiWAAY.net> wrote:

>> Unfortunately, Charles used the term 'DTD' for the set of rules
>> governing the use of a document type ...

>Use?  I won't argue 8879 legalese, but that is a strong
>term that to me, implies, semantics.  A DTD can't do that.
>It can tell me if a production is valid with respect
>to hierarchy, occurrence, frequency, id/idref, etc.,
>but says next to nothing, ye, nothing, about semantic use.
>That is, in classical data structure fundamentals, the
>operations that can be applied formally.

Just for the record, I never said any such thing. I just equated "DTD" to
"document type definition" to disambiguate the prevalent misuse of DTD to refer
to the external subset of the DOCTYPE declaration.

In 8879, the term "document type" refers to semantics; a document type
definition only deals with the application of SGML to the markup of documents of
a particular type.
--
Charles F. Goldfarb * Information Management Consulting * +1(408)867-5553
           13075 Paramount Drive * Saratoga CA 95070 * USA