[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Optional features considered harmful

At 15:15 24/10/96 -0400, Gavin Nicol wrote:
>>I think you can get 3 and 4 without external text entities by using
>>transclusion via link semantics, which are going to be standardized in a
>>later phase of XML.
>
>Right. Can't we treat external entities as a special case of that
>given the synchronous structure of them?

I think you may be right.

An XML parser intended for Web browsers wouldn't resolve an external text
entity immediately itself but rather would return a transclude event to the
application and keep going.  This would make it hard for a Web browser to do
validation, but that may not be a problem.

It would be easier to make this work if we disallowed references to external
text entities in attribute values, but hopefully people can live without those.

James