Re: B.9 Formal system, public identifiers?

> From: James Clark <jjc@jclark.com>
> >B.9 Should XML require system and public identifiers to be FORMAL
> >(13.5)?
>
> For XML 1.0, we need to keep things as simple as possible.  The simplest
> solution is:
>
> - No public identifiers, formal or otherwise.
>
> - System identifiers must be URLs.

I agree that this is a usefull immediate solution.

One extension to URLs that I believe that XML would need is a means to
refer to other parts of a MIME multipart message.  To my knowledge,
there exists no current URL formalism for this.  Such a thing would be
usefull beyond XML, so this might be become proposal for extending
URLs (in general) to support MIME multipart messages.

Or XML could define its own syntax of referencing parts (by their id)...

-enjoy,
  derek

Derek Denny-Brown <derdb@techno.com> | Technical Staff @ TechnoTeacher, Inc.
  http://www.techno.com/~derdb/      |    work-phone: (716) 389-0963