Re: A17: keep or drop entities?

On Tue, 08 Oct 1996 10:40:56 -0700, Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com> wrote:

>My feelings on this have been going back and forth like a ping-pong ball.
>

>If we take the actual constellation of *usage* of SDATA & CDATA internal entities,
> I don't see why we need them in XML.  Charles says that the way they are used is not
exactly congruent with the way they were designed, but nonetheless I don't see
that >the value they add makes up for the extra complexity in specification.

Actually, Tim, I was supporting your position. The keyword SDATA in the ISO
character entity set is unnecessary because the replacement text is a symbolic
string. (My original intention was that a system would use an equivalent entity
set in which the replacement text was real system data.)

--
Charles F. Goldfarb * Information Management Consulting * +1(408)867-5553
           13075 Paramount Drive * Saratoga CA 95070 * USA