Re: A17: keep or drop entities?

[Bob Streich]
> If you do get rid of SDATA entities, then please provide a complete
> set of mnemonic CDATA entities that expand to numeric character
> entity references. Maybe that was understood, but I prefer to hear
> it explicitly.

I'm surprised Gavin hasn't posted about this yet.  At lunch the other
day, he had the brilliant notion of defining the Unicode hex character
references not as CDATA entities but as FUNCHARs of the form
&#Uxxxxxxxx; where xxxxxxxx is the hex representation of the Unicode
code point.

This doesn't make much of a difference to the DTD-less XML parser, but
it means that in a validating environment, 4+ gigaentities don't need
to be included in the DTD.  True, there are 4+ gigaFUNCHARs in the
SGML declaration, but that's a one-time hit in the XML design, and
should be implied by any system parsing XML.

-Chris
--
<!NOTATION SGML.Geek PUBLIC "-//GCA//NOTATION SGML Geek//EN">
<!ENTITY crism PUBLIC "-//EBT//NONSGML Christopher R. Maden//EN" SYSTEM