Re: A28: syntax of markup declarations? (LONG)

>Once again, I find the idea attractive, but I have doubts. DTDs are "on the
>line" of documents that should be SGML-encoded. There are standardization
>benefits if they are, but efficiency benefits if they are not. I like the
>IETF philosophy: "when in doubt, leave it out." I fear that if we veer from
>that, we'll make a mistake that will cost us in the long run.

To my way of thinking DTDs are programs which tell other programs how they
could be customized to suit a particular application. They are not data,
though they may need to  be accompanied by explanatory data in the form of
user manuals. Such manuals have their own structure, which is entirely
independent of the DTD.
----
Martin Bryan, The SGML Centre, Churchdown, Glos. GL3 2PU, UK
Phone/Fax: +44 1452 714029   WWW home page: http://www.u-net.com/~sgml/