Re: A17: keep or drop entities?

James Clark wrote:

[Snipped:  agree]

> The only extra information that using external data entities provides is the
> notation, but this  is marginally useful in an HTTP world where that
> information is in the MIME header.  Information in data attributes can just
> as well be put as extra attributes on the element that includes the URL
> attribute value.

Inquiry:  when we lose the notation here, we are not restricting its
use in a DTD where the notation has more value.  MIME typing via a
mailcap is essentially the notation declarations in a separate file.
I believe an SGML notation can say more about the type.

1.  It is both convenient and formal to have these as part of the
Document Type to ensure that the formal requirements for the type
are noted.

2.  The HTTP world may be expanded to include other protocols
(e.g. stateful).

I inquire only to ensure we keep the valuable piece:  a completely
specified interface.   In all other respects vis a vis entities,
I agree with James.  External entities look "weird" to current
hypertext/hypermedia practicioners.  However, we will have to come
back and establish the means for indirect hyperlink locations as the
notion of
independent linking is too valuable to lose, IMO.

Len Bullard
Lockheed Martin