Re: A8: INCLUDE/IGNORE marked sections?

At 06:23 PM 10/3/96 CDT, Michael Sperberg-McQueen wrote:
>On 9 October 1996, the ERB will vote to decide the following question.
>A non-binding preliminary vote indicates the question needs further
>discussion in the work group.
>
>A.8 Should XML have INCLUDE and IGNORE marked sections or not?
>(If this question is answered YES, it leads to a separate question, how
>to achieve conditional inclusion in XML markup declarations.  This
>related question is to be decided separately.)

If marked sections are required to be element-synchronous, couldn't you make
<ENGLISH.IGNORE> and <FRENCH.IGNORE> elements or attributes and use the
stylesheet to make them disappear at delivery time? I think that this sort
of thing should fulfill the needs of most people without introducing this
new feature for parsers to handle.

 Paul Prescod