Re: RS/RE: basic questions

Paul Prescod <papresco@calum.csclub.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:
> At 02:36 PM 10/2/96 -0700, Joe English wrote:
> >The question is which of these options is the least
> >unpalatable.  Personally, I find a solution that lets
> >me author in SGML and run instances through a simple
> >normalizer to be far more palatable than one that
> >requires me to add black magic to my SGML declaration
> >and all of my DTDs before I can publish XML.
>
> So you are supporting _which_ proposal?

I would prefer "strip lexical whitespace between tags" if it can
be made to work -- I think it can, BTW, if XML producers are
willing to use an XML validator and always supply a DTD.  "No
whitespace in element content" is my second choice.

As for RS/RE, it's a toss-up between "RE delenda est" and "stick
with 8879".  "RE delenda est" makes life easier for XML
implementors but would require a retrofit for SGML entity
managers; "stick with 8879" doesn't break any current SGML tools
but is One More Thing To Implement for XML parsers.

"Quote all data" is at the very bottom of my list, and will
remain there until somebody figures out a way to implement it
that doesn't require major surgery on existing DTDs.

--Joe English

  jenglish@crl.com