Re: DTD issues

At 01:43 PM 10/2/96 -0400, David G. Durand"  (David G. Durand wrote:
>  I agree with the general move to DTD-less processing, but I think that we
>should make a requirement on all XML parsers: that they be _capable_ of
>creating an XML DTD given a DTD-less instance. I thought at one time that
>creating the DTD should be a requirement, but that's obviously retarded for
>search and browsing applications.

Somehow I can't see Netscape adding a "create DTD" menu item to their menu
bar. And if it is only an internal feature, then what is the point?

I agree with all of the benefits of being able to create a DTD for a
document, but I think that we should just ask James Clarke to make that an
XSP feature, or SoftQuad to add it to XPanorama. Besides, fred already
exists and you could probably convert SP error messages into a DTD with a
Perl script. =)

Perhaps the standardization of features of XML software should be a
different process than the standardization of the language itself.

 Paul Prescod