Re: Current Status of Discussion on RE/RS Handling

At 12:48 PM 9/30/96 -0900, W. Eliot Kimber wrote:
>At 12:44 PM 9/30/96 CDT, Paul Grosso wrote:
>
>[... example omitted, see Paul's message ]
>
>>a.  If 1 and 2 above are the only rules, then does that mean that the
>>space and RE between the title and first paragraph are significant?
>>
>>b.  Given the clarification of rule 2, then all of paragraph one's REs are
>>collapsed to a single space, but paragraph two contains " @ @ @ @".  Then,
>>I assume rule 2 says each @ gets "collapsed" into a single space resulting
>>in "        ".  Am I understanding this correctly?
>
>That's the way I interpret it: If you don't want spaces, don't put them in.

So, correct me if I'm wrong, but with the proposed set of rules: "If you
don't want spaces, don't put them in." With the other proposal: "If you
don't want newlines, don't put 'em in." (I'm not ignoring the other
proposals just juxtaposing these two.)

I don't see a substantive difference other than that I lose the ability
to do verbatim formatting with the former.

bob

Robert Streich				streich@slb.com
Schlumberger				voice: 1 512 331 3318
Austin Research				fax:   1 512 331 3760