Re: Current Status of Discussion on RE/RS Handling

> From: "W. Eliot Kimber" <kimber@passage.com>

> >>Do you mean this as stated, or do you mean all sequences of white space
> >>consisting of RSs, REs, and spaces are collapsed to a single space?
> >
> >I was hoping to see a response to Paul's question, but hadn't seen one yet?
>
> My understanding from the conference call is that we decided that we only
> needed to collapse RS/REs--spaces we could leave alone, except as specified
> in rule (1).

Consider the following example where I represent ALL RE's with @:

<chapter>@
<title>The Title</title> @
@
@
@
in the middle of it.</p>@
 @
 @
 @
in the middle of it.</p>@
</chapter>@

a.  If 1 and 2 above are the only rules, then does that mean that the
space and RE between the title and first paragraph are significant?

b.  Given the clarification of rule 2, then all of paragraph one's REs are
collapsed to a single space, but paragraph two contains " @ @ @ @".  Then,
I assume rule 2 says each @ gets "collapsed" into a single space resulting
in "        ".  Am I understanding this correctly?

paul