questions about entities and entity declarations
Questions about entity structure and entity declarations.
* should XML require all entities to be synchronous with the document's
* should XML restrict the types of entities? We seem to agree to
keep document entities, text entities, and non-SGML data entities, and
to drop subdocument entities, so this boils down to
* whether XML should keep or discard the concepts of CDATA and
SDATA entities (6.1).
* whether XML should retain 'data text' entities (CDATA,
SDATA, PI) (10.5.3, 8.1)
* whether XML should retain 'bracketed text' entities (STARTTAG,
ENDTAG, MS, MD) (10.5.4)
* should XML prescribe the use of an ENTITY-END character as the
canonical method of handling entity boundaries, as a way of simplifying
exposition and implementation (6.2.2)?
* should XML retain or relax SGML's prohibition on ENTITY attributes
referring to SGML text entities (184.108.40.206)?
* if XML makes DTDs optional and allows partial DTDs, what must or may a
parser do when it encounters references to undeclared entities (9.4)?
Should XML declare any set of entities automatically?
* if XML uses ISO 10646, should there be a special form of character
reference using hexadecimal, not decimal, numbers, since most references
to ISO 10646 and Unicode use hex, not decimal (9.5)?
(So references to schwa could take a form like &u0259; or &x0259;, not
*#601;, which is rather error-prone, given that nothing in the Unicode
documentation gives decimal numbers for the character positions.)
* Should XML remove SGML's prohibition on ENTITY attributes for