Re: RS/RE: basic questions

> Intelligent RE handling is *essential* to good (=accurate) document
> representation

I would say rather intelligently _designed_ whitespace handling...

For example, TeX has a uniform and regular rule, but it does not involve
the concept of records.  You either have white space or you don't, just as
in most modern programming languages.

I don't mean to comment on the design of the SGML white space mechanism here,
by the way.  But I think it necessary to consider things as a whole: SGML is
doing a lot more than XML, and many of its rules wil be more complex than
those of XML -- or XML wouldn't be simpler.

Lee

--
Liam Quin, SoftQuad Inc    | lq-text freely available Unix text retrieval
lee@sq.com +1 416 544-9000 | FAQs: Metafont fonts, OPEN LOOK UI, OpenWindows