Re: RS/RE: basic questions

At 12:21 PM 9/23/96 -0400, David G. Durand"  (David G. Durand wrote:
>   I think treating the entire SGML input as a single record is still the
>best way to go, and it can be implemented by any entity manager. If we are
>not compatible with current parsers on this feature, that can be regarded
>as _strong_ input to the 8879 revision.

One concern to me is that this proposal will be _subtly_ incompatible with
existing tools. The user will want

<P>Foo</P>

The editing tool will output

Foo
</P>

SGML/XML parsers will interptet that as

(P
"
Foo
"
P)

We will have to make it VERY clear that although XML _looks_ like SGML, it
is actually subtly different. If we are going to do something incompatible
with SGML, I prefer the eliminate-mixed-content proposal. It is sufficiently
different that nobody will think that XML is SGML and it allows authors to
use whitespace to organize their text (which was the original goal of the
RS/RE rules).

 Paul Prescod