Re: RS/RE: basic questions

At 09:30 PM 9/22/96 -0700, Joe English wrote:
>(Personally I wouldn't mind disallowing inclusion
>exceptions, and restricting PIs and comment declarations
>to element content or even to the prolog; but I do think
>that disallowing mixed content is too restrictive.)

Can somebody help me?

Joe seems to be proposing that if we

* restrict PIs and comments to element content
* restrict mixed-content-models to "|"
* disallow inclusion exceptions

then we can reduce the RS/RE handling rules to "Robert's Rules" ( =) ) of

In data content:
 1. If an element begins or ends with a newline [not entirely
    accurate, but this is what people see], the newline is ignored.
 2. Newlines inside markup are ignored.
 3. All other newlines are passed on.

Is this really the case? Is this simplification an option?

 Paul Prescod