[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: RS/RE: basic questions

Charles@sgmlsource.com (Charles F. Goldfarb) wrote:

> There's only ever been one rule: An RE that exists only because of markup is
> ignored. (It's the application of the rule that causes confusion.)
>
> If we delimit pseudo-elements, then the rule is: undelimited REs are ignored,
> delimited ones are data.

... but they can still be moved around in the presence
of processing instructions, markup declarations, and
included subelements.

(Personally I wouldn't mind disallowing inclusion
exceptions, and restricting PIs and comment declarations
to element content or even to the prolog; but I do think
that disallowing mixed content is too restrictive.)

--Joe English

  jenglish@crl.com

Follow-Ups: References: