Re: RS/RE: basic questions

On Sat, 21 Sep 1996 06:08:19 +0000, Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com> wrote:

>Charles' proposal in this area is to require explicit markup around
>pseudo-elements in mixed content, probably minimized into something like '"'
>via shortref, e.g.
><?Director Audio On>
>"and beat and beat."
>
>Advantages:
>[a] & [b] exactly as above, and
>[c] it's 8879-compliant
>
>Costs
>[a] people have to put in a little more markup
>[b] it is unlikely that XML can ever be fed to an HTML reader.
>
>Not really an easy choice; but I think we've succeeded in shaking out what
>the issues are.

[a] According to the Design Principles: " 10. Terseness is of minimal
importance."
[b] Native processing of XML by unaware HTML readers is not an XML objective.
(judging by earlier postings, it isn't even a credible fantasy)

See, it really is an easy choice (although perhaps not a pleasant one).
--
Charles F. Goldfarb * Information Management Consulting * +1(408)867-5553
           13075 Paramount Drive * Saratoga CA 95070 * USA