Re: RS/RE: basic questions

On Thu, 19 Sep 1996 23:23:03 -0400 Liam Quin said:
>    <?DIRECTOR: audio on>
>    And beat and beat and beat.</p>
>
>If the required form of this in XML were either

>And beat and beat and beat.</p>
>
>or

><?DIRECTOR: audio on>And beat and beat and beat.</p>
>
>then both SGML and XML would parse the document in the same way, no?

Or even

     <?DIRECTOR: audio on
     >And beat and beat and beat.</p>

I find it just as hard to explain to users why some newlines disappear
as some people seem to find it hard to explain that a newline in
character data is character data.  Actually, a lot harder, since to
this day I wouldn't claim to be able to tell accurately whether a
newline is actually ignored or not, in any case except the simple one
(newline immediately after start-tag or immediately before end-tag),
without running a test through SP or sgmls first.  Which means I *can't*
explain it, 'cause I don't understand it.

Can someone actually explain the RE rules here, in terms *not* those
used in the relevant clause of 8879?  (If I understood it in those
terms I wouldn't have this problem.)

Michael Sperberg-McQueen