Re: XML vrs SGML tools [was Re: Capitalizing on HTML (was ...)]

On Thu, 19 Sep 1996 21:33:19 -0400, Paul Prescod
<papresco@calum.csclub.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:

>>From my point of view, the problem the end user market perceives is that
>once they make an SGML document they must buy or write an expensive
>conversion program to display it on the Web. If we can win over the browser
>writers, we've solved that problem.

It seems like the two Pauls are agreeing that

1. XML has to be easy for SGML editors (and word-processor add-ons) to generate
and for  arbitrary browsers to read. We needn't worry about XML-only editors or
dedicated XML browsers because there won't be any.

2. The browsers need to be able to work without accessing a DTD.

Is that correct?
--
Charles F. Goldfarb * Information Management Consulting * +1(408)867-5553
           13075 Paramount Drive * Saratoga CA 95070 * USA