SGML Declaration in XML (Clause 13)

Despite Michael's request that messages be kept to a single subject within
the list I have decided not to bombard you all with one message per point I
want to make, but have tried to cover questions raised by one of the set of
forms in one posting. This set of points relates to dd-1996-0002-f8.html,
which deals with the SGML Declaration.

13.3
We should force XML to SCOPE DOCUMENT

13.4
There needs to be a separate vote on the various subclauses of the SYNTAX
clause as there are lots of things associated with naming that need to be
discussed. In particular I would point you to the ERCS Technical Corrigendum
which has recently been sent to your national standards body for approval by
ISO. (Its formal number is JTC1 N4178. Get your national body to vote YES by
October 30th! You can get the source of this document online from
http://www.ornl.gov/sgml/wg8/document/1861.htm.)
This TC covers how to specify ISO 10646 characters as valid SGML name
characters in an SGML declaration.

13.5 - SHORTTAG
SHORTTAG YES is required to allow attribute values to be entered without
literals (and without attribute name and value indicators) but XML should
forbid the other options SHORTTAG currently permits. (In the next version of
SGML these two roles of SHORTTAG will be clearly distinguished.)
----
Martin Bryan, The SGML Centre, Churchdown, Glos. GL3 2PU, UK
Phone/Fax: +44 1452 714029   WWW home page: http://www.u-net.com/~sgml/