Re: Comments on XML Part 1 from Japanese experts

Gavin Nicol writes:

>>2. Hankaku katakana characters
> I know that hankaku are becoming less
>frequently used, so I am not sure that forbidding them makes
>sense... over time they will not be used anyway.

This observation is incorrect.  Access Nifty.  You see a lot
of hankaku characters there.  Nifty users send e-mail to
Internet users and cause a lot of problems now.

>>5. The private use areas
>>
>>(1) Proposal
>>
>>The private use areas of Unicode should not be used in XML.
>
>The private use area, and surrogates are critical for certain
>applications.

I know.

>>(3) Background
>>
>>XML is primarily intended for open interchange over the
>>Internet.  If the private use areas of Unicode are
>>used in XML, we will have incompatibility problems.
>
>This is based upon the denial of the need. The need is there, but the
>infrastructure is not.

No, our proposal is not based on the denial of the need.   What
we are proposing is that the private use area should not be used
for open interchange via XML over the Internet.

Makoto

Fuji Xerox Information Systems

Tel: 044-812-7230   Fax: 044-812-7231
E-mail: murata@apsdc.ksp.fujixerox.co.jp