Re: Conformance

Sean wrote:
> Is it not strange that something as fundamental as the correctness
> of XML parse trees is not part of the base spec?

No, I don't think so.  It's also not part of the ANSI C spec, nor that of
C++, Pascal, IEEE SCHEME, etc.

A parser should be free to construct whatever data structure is
most suitable for its intended application.  I have a simple XMLish
browser that doesn't use a tree at all.  Old versions of Mosaic used
a flat linked list, and although I wouldn't recommend that approach,
it certainly worked, at least until they tried to support tables :-)

We already have a lexical representation of XML -- XML itself.

There might be some mileage in an XML version of ESIS++, I suppose,
for testing:
<Element>
  <Name>Boy</Name>
  <Attlist>
    <Attribute>
      <Name>Age</Name>
      <Value source="instance">12</Value>
    </Attribute>
    <Attribute>
      <Name>Gender</Name>
      <Value source="default">Male</Value>
    </Attribute>
  </AttList>
  <Content>
  </Content>
</Element>

Since XML is _designed_ to be easy to parse, the advantage of an ESIS
form is considerably reduced.

Lee