Re: On constraining/validating datatypes

From: len bullard <cbullard@hiwaay.net>
Date: Sat, 24 May 1997 10:32:28 -0500
To: Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com>
CC: w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org
Tim Bray wrote:

> Steve's analysis is sensible and I agree with most of it.
>
> It is totally undeniable that a general typing mechanism, whether
> based on regex or hylex or whatever, gives a degree of flexibility
> and fine control that is unbeatable.

[snip]

> One point - count me as one vote *against* wiring this into either
> XML-lang or WG8, and *for* doing it in a separate doc, using
> vanilla attribute/notation mechanisms, for now.  That way everybody
> gets to use it now, and people who don't care don't have to
> build the machinery into the parser... let's try and defend
> that grad-student-week, it's one of our proudest achievements. -Tim

Usually, I'm on the "leave the application developers to their own
devices"
side, but I agree with Tim.  At least from the database perspective
I'm getting right now, a separate document that provides a set
of data types based on the SQL set appears to be a very sensible
and immediately useful product.  ONE For.

len