RE: SD5 - Namespaces - New Version 2

From: Paul Grosso <paul@arbortext.com>
Date: Fri, 23 May 1997 18:25:33 -0500
To: w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org
At 15:39 1997 05 23 -0400, Arjun Ray wrote:

>Sorry, my fault for overloading "qualify". Assuming ':' is the name
>component separator, I was basically asking about a construction like
>
>   ... <X:FOO Y:BAR="baz"> ...
>
>where within the same start-tag, an attribute is drawn from some other
>namespace than the element. Is this kosher?

I don't think you'd want to allow this, and I'm not even sure it makes
sense:  by definition of what it means to be an attribute (even in
the natural language sense), how can "an attribute of some element in
the Y namespace" be an attribute of "the FOO element in the X namespace"?

Actually, please just consider that a rhetorical question (we don't need
the extra email philosophizing on this concept).  Just explain the user
requirement this could possibly address if any.

paul