RE: Thoughts on namespaces

From: Christopher R. Maden <crm@eps.inso.com>
Date: Fri, 23 May 1997 20:29:29 GMT
To: w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org
Steve DeRose writes of namespaces and validity.

I believe that for a *valid* document, authors would still need to
create a DTD incorporating names from other DTDs, as in my earlier
example:

<!DOCTYPE mymess [
<!ELEMENT mymess   (html:h1 | html:p)*>
<!ELEMENT html:h1  (#PCDATA | html:a | tei:xref)*>
<!ELEMENT html:p   (#PCDATA | html:a | tei:xref)*>
<!ELEMENT html:a   (#PCDATA)>
<!ELEMENT tei:xref (#PCDATA)>
]>

The only benefit gained here is in semantic recognition.  Automagic
incorporation of DTDs for validity definitely has the problem Steve
pointed out.  However, for merely well-formed documents, DTD adoption
allows quick creation of recognizable documents.  Grab HTML Cougar as
a base, add digital signatures, MathML, and some commerce DTD, and
you're good to go with structured information.

-Chris
--
Christopher R. Maden                  One Richmond Square
DynaText SIT Technical Support        Providence, RI 02906 USA