RE: Namespaces

From: Andrew Layman <andrewl@microsoft.com>
Date: Fri, 23 May 1997 10:29:49 -0700
To: "'Martin Bryan'" <mtbryan@sgml.u-net.com>, w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org
Thank you for bringing up again the important issue of scope.  I did not
address it in my mail discussing how namespaces are named (the "Java
method" versus the "Modula-2 method") but that was only because I wanted
to separate the problem into parts. I completely agree that it is
important.

In my "Namespaces Version 2" mail last night, I suggest a method that is
similar in some respects to what you propose.  Each element can contain
within it a list of the namespaces that are used within that element.
If that element and its contents are moved, or used as a document
fragment, all those namespaces remain listed and active.  (Full details
in my proposal).

--Andrew Layman
   AndrewL@microsoft.com