Re: Link-3: Sets, Singletons, and Determinism

From: Henry S. Thompson <ht@cogsci.ed.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 23 May 97 09:58:29 BST
To: w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org
[Discussions about sets of elements, and what xpointers 'return', etc. deleted]

I'm with David on this one:  links connect resources, those resources
are identified by locators.  Vanilla locators identify a single point
in a document.  Span locators identify a pair of points in a document.
End of story.  Nothing is returned.  What applications do with a span
is up to the semantics they implement for their link types.

See how easy things are if we eliminate processing language [hint, hint :-]

ht