Re: SD1 - Proposal: allow in valid XML-Documents only

Gavin Nicol wrote:

> To test this, I performed another little experiment. I created
> a 1024x1024 table of (random, integer, small) numeric data in both
> comma delimited, and xml form, and then compressed both files.
> The results follow:
>
> Before compression:
>       foo.txt 11,873,460
>       foo.xml 17,123,519
>
>       Markup adds about 44% to the size of the data.
>
> After compression (using gzip):
>       foo.txt.gz 5,323,235
>       foo.xml.gz 5,704,385
>
>       markup adds about 7% to the compressed size.

Gavin, doesn't this look pretty much like the arguments
in VRML about the binary formats in which it was decided
that modems and gzips did the job about as well with
regards to transmission size.  I don't think I buy
the "transmission size will be a hazy memory" argument
because even where complete infrastructure change is
needed (why not dump TCP/IP while at it?), it won't
happen too quick and in all of the places XML should
be able to reach.  I think it likely to happen to
the well-heeled in the short term, but that's life.

OTH, reduction of end tagging just isn't an issue with
enough arguments one way or another to convince me
that it requires a lot of time right now.  I think it
should be reconsidered in XML 2.0 if there is
sufficient evidence it gives the application vendors
grief (such as, they ignore it and do it anyway).

BTW:  On conformance.  Anyone looking at that issue
now should look at Mary Brady's site for VRML 2.0
at NIST.  Top marks!

len