Re: Data types again

From: Paul Grosso <paul@arbortext.com>
Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 14:04:55 -0500
To: w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org
At 13:00 1997 05 21 -0700, Tim Bray wrote:
>I have revised my paper on data typing at
>
>[1] http://www.textuality.com/xml/typing.html

I don't feel data typing needs to be part of XML--it is not within the
"minimum needed to declare victory."  Therefore, I would vote against
any proposal regarding data typing that puts a necessary burden on
XML implementors or users or that extends the time frame for getting
out the XML spec.  However, I do believe data typing would be useful,
and I would therefore be in favor of putting our assembled intelligence
to the task of addressing this issue provided it is done as a separate
"module" of the larger "XML-inspired" work.

So, on DT-1, I am ambivalent, but finally come down saying we should
consider data typing as part of the XML work.

On DT-2, data typing should be a separate module in the XML series,
and its support must not be a requirement of an XML system.

On DT-4 and DT-5, I think data typing should work on attribute values and
content (both character and mixed if feasible).  I would favor making
any necessary simplification (e.g., for mixed content, ignore subelements)
to allow even an "80% solution."

On the other points, I have no strong feelings at this time.

paul