Re: Data types again

In message <3.0.32.19970521125726.00b2420c@pop.intergate.bc.ca> Tim Bray writes:
[...]
> The following issues need to be decided by the ERB - most of them have
> been sufficiently discussed I think, but it can't hurt to lay them out.

Assuming that some or all of this proposal is adopted by the ERB key points
that I would like them to consider are:
	- all of this should be transparent to the parser (i.e. the parser
		simply transfers attributes, values and content as at present.)
	- if the ERB define a validation procedure for the XML-SQLTYPEs
		(and I'm not sure they should) it should be after parsing
		and before the application.
	- XML only deals in strings and should not be concerned with the
		internal representation of these strings as other types.
		XML should not require that an application carry out any
		operation on these types (other than transmitting them
		without corruption).
	- if all the recommendations are adopted, and an application is
		required to do meaningful operations on these types including
		conversions, there is quite a lot of work involved.
	P.

--
Peter Murray-Rust, domestic net connection
Virtual School of Molecular Sciences