Re:Abandoning XML

From: Digitome Ltd. <sean@digitome.com>
Date: Tue, 20 May 1997 18:38:17 +0100
To: w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org
[Andrew Layman]
> The whole point of XML is to have an
> infinitely-extensible, self-describing syntax that allows the structure
> of a document to be determined by a very simple, regular parser.
> Pointing out that structural limitations in public XML can be solved by
> private hacks just gets us farther away from this goal.

If we keep "extending" the syntactic power of XML we likewise
extend the complexity of the parser. A "simple, regular parser"
only works on "simple regular data". You cannot increase the power
of one without the other.

For what its worth I think XML (well XML-Lang actually) is already
too complex and would have preferred a lot less syntax that we
currently have. We are on a slippery slope with empty tags - on the
way to pushing XML up the hill to the point where it will become
fully fledged SGML:-( If you need this power use SGML now! Lets
not make the mistake of reinventing it with XML.

Sean

Sean Mc Grath

sean@digitome.com
Digitome Electronic Publishing