RE: Link-2: Pseudo-elements

From: James Clark <jjc@jclark.com>
Date: Tue, 20 May 1997 14:59:09 +0700
To: "w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org" <w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org>
At 14:38 19/05/97 -0400, Steven J. DeRose wrote:
>At 07:37 PM 05/18/97 +0800, James K. Tauber wrote:
>>
>>I'd be be happy to see CHILD(N) refer to the Nth "proper" element. It is
>intuitive enough and psuedo-element linking can always be achieved as a type
>of sub-element linking instead.
>

>But still, how do we refer to content that isn't a whole subelement? That's
>a major subtraction of functionality.
>
>For example, it makes it impossible for external links to refer to anything
>that the original author didn't tag: like, pointing to a word or phrase and
>describing it as a typo, an allusion, a desired link origin, a noun, or
>whatever. Bad thing to leave out of a language, IMHO.

What reason is there to suppose that the word or phrase will be a complete
pseudo-element? You would have to have some mechanism for addressing within
the pseudo-element; and if you have such a mechanism you can use for
addressing the character data directly from the containing element without
going via a pseudo-element.  Pseudo-elements are neither necessary nor
sufficient for referring to untagged words or phrases.

James