Re: SD1 - Short End Tags [fmt]

From: Paul Grosso <paul@arbortext.com>
Date: Mon, 19 May 1997 18:59:39 -0500
To: w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org
Handling short end tags poses no major implementation problem for a
tool builder, and certainly are no problem for an SGML tool.

The problem is more for the ad hoc "tool" such as the proverbial perl
script.  The problem is magnified if the end tags can be either short
or long.  I have a lot of customers who want end tags for various
processing outside Adept, and I expect this to continue with XML.

I see *requiring* short end tags in XML a negative, and I see
*allowing* them an unacceptable overhead to the spec and to the
DPH-level users of XML.

I see the space savings benefit as being vastly outweighed by the
problems with short end tags.

So, from an SGML vendor, I "don't care," but from my stake as someone
concerned with the design of XML, I oppose this short end tag proposal.

paul